[ale] news reader

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 26 09:42:14 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:45:01PM -0400 George Johnson <gljay at netzero.net> wrote:
> What is the best news reader out there for linux?  Is there a good one for
> the shell prompt?  Also is there anything for the par and rar files that
> will decode and assemble them?  I am new to newsgroups.

I kinda like slrn.  As far as par/rar files (what the heck are they?
Real media or something?), there's probably someway of using one of the
mime.types files.  Mine is usually in /usr/local/etc/mime.types, but I'm
on a bsd system right now.  If you chose to go with slrn, check out
slrn.sourceforge.net and also Sven Guckes' notes on it, if you can find
them (he appears to have changed his site around a lot).  There's an
item on the "wishlist" (http://slrn.sourceforge.net/wishlist.html) that
points to some mime.types capability with on ver. 1.0 and beyond.  But I
think that's just like Mutt's capability, and I don't think it involves
media streaming.  Anyway, good luck searching this one out, and when you
find something, let us know, okay?

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net