[ale] Re: File Backup (sort of)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jul 25 17:55:51 EDT 2002

I _think_ I found what I'm looking for in the scdbackup package: one of
the scripts will "backup" home directories to CD such that the CD may be
mounted, and each individual file is then accessable. Since this project
is intended to clean out as much cruft from this machine as possible,
access to each individual file on an individual user basis makes sense.
It also means that the children can move (if they want to) their stuff
selectively to separate computers.

Of course, I'll also backup to tape at the same time, just to add some
suspenders to the belt 8-).

Thanks for all the ideas and the time from both lists. I do appreciate the
help.

On 25 Jul 2002, David Johnston wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 20:09, Mark Horn wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:27:20PM -0400, Thompson Freeman wrote:
> > > I would like to copy all reasonable files (not Netscape cache files
> > > and the like) to CD-ROM as files.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I've looked into doing backups to other mediums
> > (like CD's) and what I found was that tapes were expensive, but provided
> > sufficient capacity without requiring a media change.  CD's were cheap,
> > but required too much effort to complete a single backup due to the
> > inordinate amount of media changes that I had to do.
> >
> > My personal choice was to purchase a second hard drive and backup to that.
>
> I've done the same, except that I'm using a USB drive; this lets me
> stick it somewhere safe.  I'm using dump; it's basic, but it's pretty
> quick.  I'm going to look at mirrordir; it sounds interesting.
>
> To avoid Netscape cache dirs, I've disabled Netscape caching completely
> and run everything through squid.
>
> -David

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca