[ale] seti at home

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jul 24 06:49:50 EDT 2002

Hello,

This is a Linux/Windows related post.  I wanted to post my observations
and get verification on my findings.  I have ran seti on a few PC's the
last couple weeks.  One is windows, the rest are Linux.  I found out
that the Linux machines can churn out about 4 results per day and the
Windows seems to be doing 1.  These machines are all 1GHz machines so
I've come to the conclusion that it is just worthless to run seti on a
box running Winbloze.

Fix:

On one Windows machine I did the following:

1) Booted up on Linux BBC disk
2) Configured network card
3) SCP'd setiathome binary from another machine
4) Ran the program

I did this because I wanted to run seti on it but not in Windows.  I
also did not want to destroy my windows partition (yet).

If this is true, why do you suppose seti runs much slower in Winbloze?

Thanks,
Chris

---