[ale] Re: File Backup (sort of)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jul 23 14:19:41 EDT 2002

I'm beginning to suspect that some scripting is going to be
needed. Fortunately, I do have some free disk space to work with...

For a fast and sloppy approach, would it be possible to generate a list of
files for saving (grepping out known losers), chunk the list into lists of
600MB worth of files at a time, feed the chunked lists into mkisofs, and
burn the resulting image. Technically educational for me, but a bit beyond
my known scripting abilities at the moment.

Am I completely off base? or is this doable? Gotchas?

Again, I am indebted to both lists for their help and time.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> Thompson Freeman wrote:
> > Due to a combination of sloth, poor housekeeping, and mid-level
> > boneheadedness, I should/need to completely trash and reinstall and
> > reconfigure my main linux box. Now I actually do have a semblence of
> > backups for this machine, but I would like to do something different if
> > possible: copy all reasonable files (not Netscape cache files and the
> > like) to CD-ROM as files. This will allow the children to recover their
> > personal files that they want to keep without driving me nuts, and allow
> > me (the slob) to recover the stuff I actually use with a reduced risk of
> > major brain fart. Since the total of all this stuff is something near
> > 2.5gig, I do need to split it over multiple CD's.
> >
> > I've hit freshmeat and the recently recommended backup web-site, but
> > nothing there suggested itself as being appropriate.
> >
> > Does anybody know how to do such? Or have a clue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> hi,
>
>    I have used the mondo rescue package in the past.
> Here is the freshmeat entry:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/mondorescue/?topic_id=137
>
> It can backup to multiple CD's and it will make the first CD bootable!
>
> One caveat: It can restore a single directory, but you must know the
> path. It doesn't let you browse and select what to restore.
>
> I would recommend doing a "find / -print > filelist" beforehand and
> print it out as a reference.
>
> Jason Edgecombe

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca