[ale] dsl filters?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Jul 23 10:10:44 EDT 2002

Stephen -

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> hey when you get dsl run to your home do you need all phones connected
> through a filter or just the dsl modem or what? or are the filters even needed?

The filter cuts down the spectrum used by the modem, so you _can't_ put it
between the modem and the line. If you have an objectional noise (a 'hiss'
in my case), you can put it between the phones and the line: the band it
rejects isn't used for voice.  Since my modem branches off my telco
service at the central block, it was easy to put the filter between the
branch serving all phones and branch serving the modem. In fact I only
heard noise on one of our three phones, before installing the filter.

 - John Mills

---