[ale] Is this list being mined?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Jul 22 13:26:47 EDT 2002

As the recipient of many a spam sent to my "personal" address (i.e., "me"
"@" "fultongreen.com"), I have also noticed the occasional spamming to
both my "ale" address and to my "linux-kernel" address, but those are much
more infrequent. I have, however, noticed a great deal of spam sent as a
consequence of having had accounts with FreeDrive (which probably sold my
address to the highest bidder before selling out to XDrive) and Net-Temps
(which apparently must have a lot of re'sume' spammers and proofreaders
masquerading as "consulting agencies").

And no, I don't appear to have received the same spam you had. Sometimes,
in an attempt to "fly below the radar", spammers will send bulk mail to only
a subset of their mailing list(s) at a time. The open relay was probably
shut down by the time your spammer could reach me me.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:06:31PM +0000, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Earlier this morning I received a piece of spam (a taste is copied below)
> and this is the _only_ Linux-based list I am on.
> So I ask the question:
> Did anyone else get this piece piece of spam?
> Has someone mined the ALE address list?
> Is there any way to know?
> If so, is there any way to make this data harder to swipe?
>
> I ask out of near total ignorance; all I know about maintaining
> mailing lists would fit in a thimble with plenty of room left
> over for my finger.

---