[ale] comparing files

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Jul 18 11:58:40 EDT 2002

ALE, 07-18-02 1145  index:projdoc
I have 100 text files that are all about 100Kb in size. The data in the files
is supposed to be sequential - however, in my haste to backup the files from
a dying system, I copied repetitive data in some of them.
I would like to:

1. Compare 100 text files in a directory
2. find strings *more than* 4-500 characters long that are duplicated between
files
3. print a report showing the similar text and the file names in a file
4. delete strings from the newer file - and leave in the older one
5. write a few characters in newer file to show where the omission is

Having done a little research, the closest programs that I can find do the
opposite task (diff, diff3) and they do not have the ability to compare 100
files. Anyone know of a program that can d00 this in Linux (or even Win)?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

---