[ale] Re: IDE, More

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jul 18 09:30:21 EDT 2002

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend.

Does anyone know of an IDE that has a drag-and-drop type interface
for placing Swing objects on a panel?

I will have to write applets to run on the browser side. What
I want is "help" doing that from a nice applet builder ... With controls
and stuff ready built and a tool to join it all together. That is what
MS is attempting with .NET but I am attempting not to go there.
My job will be to
build a Web version of what my boss has written in MS Access. It has to
have as near a client/server GUI feel as possible (not lots of round
trips to the web to accomplish things). I realize that is possible,
difficult, and time consuming and am looking for a tool / group of tools
to help me.

I've tried Eclipse; the ONLY problem I have with it is
the lack of an ability to have disjointed source trees. Which of course
is not even an issue on Unix/Linux because of the file tree shortcuts.
Unfortunately I am still developing under Win/2000 for the moment.
Eclipse is also quite fast enough (on a 1Ghz processor).

So I don't need an IDE to develop Java - I need a (perish the thought)
MS Front Page type of tool to develop the GUI applets for the browser.

---