[ale] Winbook

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Jul 16 17:11:05 EDT 2002

On 16 Jul 2002, cfowler wrote:

> Has anyone installed Linux on a Winbook.  I saw a J4 in Computer Shopper
> and am thinking about buying one.

No clue about Linux on one, but...

Be very careful with Winbook. A local business has been purchasing
Winbooks for some time now. They have over 100 in their current inventory.
They tell me that they've had nothing but problems. The current life
expectancy on their J1 models is about 6 months. Display failures, HDD
failures, dead touchpads...you name it. They've seen it. They have
switched to Dell as of this month due to the turnaround time for repairs
(4-6 weeks). Winbook has also attempted to avoid accepting
responsibility for several recurring issues with their Si model. Keep in
mind that this is a large company, not the average consumer. When a
company is willing to screw one of their corporate customers...there's no
telling what they'll do to the average joe.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security

---