[ale] Regarding Kernel Operations

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 16 11:03:50 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> stephen wrote:

> >>The kernel is built, top to bottom, using only the code in the
> >>kernel source tree.
> >>

> > Actually, there are some source files in scripts/, such as your mkdep
> > utility, and other utilities under some of the arch/ branches for
> > converting elf to a.out and making tftp boot images that include headers
> > from libc.
>
> But scripts and arch are under the /usr/src/linux tree.

I'm sorry, stephen is correct. For example, "make xconfig"
actually builds a small C utility that's used to present
the config UI and construct the config file; that
process depends on the presence of the libc and Tcl/Tk
header files installed on your system.

However, the code that actually gets *linked into the
kernel image* resides entirely under /usr/src/linux.

-- Joe

---