[ale] a good Fri afternoon OT post...

tslane at attbi.com tslane at attbi.com
Fri Jul 12 16:38:06 EDT 2002

I just finished removing about a mile of velcro tape to
take home from several dozen server boxes coworkers had
finally put in the trash pile when I wondered:

at what point does "giving old hardware a good home"
become pilfering and possible criminal?

I remember having to take this stupid career
planning/ethics class in HS where they said you should
never take so much as a paperclip home from the office
(nor user the copier, etc.).  without pointing out that
my employeer has no problem with me using my personal
cell phone, PC, cable modem, etc. for them w/o
reimbursement (whoops, I guess I just did:) I doubt
there's anyone on this board who's NEVER got an old HD,
monitor, etc. from work and was just wondering about
the ethics of it especially since we frequently
influence deciding what goes to the junk pile.  not
that I'm feeling particularly GUILTY, mind you, just
curious what other's thoughts were on this subject,
particularly:

1.  what's the MOST valueable item you ever got from
work?  I work w/a guy who took home an HP9000 which we
honestly were going to sell for salvage but we're also
the ones who says what's obsolete & needs upgrading

2.  have you or anyone you've ever worked with gotten
in trouble for taking something home?

3.  just in a broad sense what are your thoughts on
this topic?

---