[ale] routing port forwarding issues - help!

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Thu Jul 11 16:49:32 EDT 2002

A traceroute will die before it gets to the desired machine. Traceroute
dies at the same IP addr from each machine that I tried it from.

New info: I found that I can telnet to port 25 just fine from the
firewalls of each lan. As I mentioned below, one is a Netopia R910
router, one is an OpenBSD box running ipf, and one is a Linksys
router/hub unit. In each case, I can telnet just fine from the firewall,
but not from the qmail server behind it. I can also telnet just fine
from any _other_ machine, windows and linux, behind the firewall. Just
not from the qmail box which is involved in the port forwarding rules
from the firewall.

What could port forwarding have to do with it? That seems to be the only
common thing so far.

- Gary