[ale] Q: Linux ftp through M$ p[r]oxy

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Jul 11 16:42:00 EDT 2002

Jim -

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Jim Philips wrote:

> Have you tried typing:

> set passive on

Yes, and set it in ~/.ncftp/firewall

> at the ncftp command prompt and then using "open <real_server_ip>"?

Yes - I get 'Could not connect to <proxy_ip>: Connection refused.'

I expect this means I did not login successfully. Would this depend on my
system having been accepted by the Microsoft domain server? It does not
login to the domain server, though the Win systems do so.

> Ncftp is a server as well as a client and some firewalls object to that.

I guess some firewalls require an ftp client to talk HTTP, but I'm getting
through this one with my 'generic' Win98 client.

The firewall is Microsoft Proxy Server v 2.0

Your suggestions, wisdom, and brickbats are always appreciated.

 - John Mills

---