[ale] Full filesystem backup to CD-R

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jul 11 14:50:57 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:
> Geoffery,
>
> Doesn't this constrain you to only backing up filesystems that are < one
> cd-r's capacity?  I'm looking for something that will recognize that it
> won't all fit on one cd and split up automatically.  I think with your
> approach, I'd have to verify each time to make sure I wasn't overfilling
> the iso.  Of course, I could be wrong.

As other's have noted, that is correct, I guess I was giving you an
answer that would have worked 10 years ago. Hmmmm, you know, that's
gotta be a touchy one as you want to insure that you use as much of the
cd as possible, yet you certainly don't want to go over the max on that
puppy.

I wrote a script a while back that did something similar to this (for
floppies :) ).  Basically it would run through the list of files
locating the largest one and then the next file that when added to the
first would come closest to using the max space on the disk. It was
quite time consuming though, as you run through the list of files quite
a number of times.  Mind you that was on a 3b2 400, so it REALLY took a
long time.

That's the kind of approach you're probably looking for though.
Something like:

for ALLFILES; do

	Find largest file.

	while ! disk full; do
		find next file that when added to current files will not
			max disk out
	done
done

Hmmm sounds like fun, I think I might play with this a while....

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---