[ale] OT - DSL

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Jul 11 12:39:38 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:32:52PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:

> Guess I should have specified - I am talking about ADSL for a business
> (commercial) location.  As far as I know, Bellsouth is the *only* ISP that
> will provide ADSL to a business location.

	AT&T will also supply ADSL/SDSL/IDSL to businesses.  After having
a customer of mine jerked around by BellSouth (who initially claimed they
could provide ADSL to his location but was going to charge an extra
$40 per month for one static IP address or $60 per month for 5 static
IP addresses but then claimed they couldn't qualify his lines and then,
after being pointed at a qualified copper pair, claimed that ADSL was
not available in that area because the DSLAM was full...) for months,
we finally arranged for AT&T to pull IDSL into his site and he's getting
a /27 address space (29 usable static IP addresses).  He's only getting
144K symetrical (because it's over ISDN) but it's a hell of a lot
better than what he has and will meet his needs.  AT&T also listed
"single-user" ADSL on their business subscription page and various speeds of
"multi-user" SDSL as well.

> > I say screw BellSouth.  They're my last choice for
> > anything.  Full discloser: I work for AT&T, the has been
> > monopoly.

> In general, I would agree with you, but I also am not one who would cut off
> my nose to spite my face.  Bellsouth ADSL is the by far the best choice for
> our company's situation.

	Well...  I don't work for AT&T but have now referred a customer
to them for DSL service.  I've had my disputes with them as well, but
BellSouth's entire attitude left a very bad taste in my mouth.  AT&T
may not be nirvana, but they seem to be a whole lot more responsive
than BellSouth.

	Ultimate irony in this saga is that we're waiting on BellSouth
to install the ISDN line.  :-)  But it's only taking a few weeks for
that to happen compared to 6 months of runaround from BellSouth on
the ADSL which they could never deliver on.

> Charles

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

---