[ale] Full filesystem backup to CD-R

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jul 11 13:47:11 EDT 2002

Geoffery,

Doesn't this constrain you to only backing up filesystems that are < one
cd-r's capacity?  I'm looking for something that will recognize that it
won't all fit on one cd and split up automatically.  I think with your
approach, I'd have to verify each time to make sure I wasn't overfilling
the iso.  Of course, I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

John

Geoffrey said:
> John Wells wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a good, relatively easy utility that allows the
>> backing up of filesystems or subsets to CD-R?  I'm looking for
>> something that won't take days to understand fully or hack to get
>> working.  I was taking a look at Mondo, but having some issues.
>>
>> Anything out there you've used successfully?
>
> mkisofs -T -l -r -o foo.iso /path-to-the-fs-to-backup
> cdrecord speed=$YOURSPEED dev=$YOURDEV foo.iso
>
> Throw that into a shell script and you've got your utility...
>
> Doesn't take long to learn and works. :)
>

>> Thanks!
>> John
>>

>> ---
>> This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>> should be  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?

---