[ale] OT - DSL

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Wed Jul 10 11:29:14 EDT 2002

->> My experience with BellSouth DSL absolutely blows Earthlink out of
->> the water.
->
->Would you give details?

Sure.  I had Earthlink DSL from Feb to April 2001 in the Sandy Springs area.  My download speeds totally sucked.  I would lose connections playing online games, experience consistent 10% packet loss, etc.  The problem was not between my house and Earthlink either (i could download from their ftp at 1.3 Mbps).

I switched to Bellsouth (which i had used previously in St. Augustine, FL for over a year) and all of a sudden my problems were gone.  I moved to Buckhead later that year, and the consistency of service is there.  I can stay connected indefinitely without them kicking me off.  Even though i'm not guaranteed a static IP, i've had the same one all year so far.

The way it used to work with them resetting their IPs was that on Thursdays at midnight, any IP that was currently not being used, could potentially be taken back into the "up for grabs" pool.  So as long as you were up and running on thursday nights you were cool.  Is this how it works now?  no clue, i keep my PC connected 24/7 anyways.

->
->Can you quote some speeds, costs, and where you're located
->(approximately)?
->

Download speeds upwards of 170 Kilobytes.

I pay about $44 a month (i have BellSouth complete choice local phone service (caller ID, call waiting, etc) which knocks the DSL price down $5.

I have also found their tech support people to be great, which is surprising quite honestly.

->Thanks,
->Bob
->