[ale] USB over cat-5?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jul 10 10:49:25 EDT 2002

Ok. You pulled it out of me.  The "why?" is to avoid spending an extra
$100 getting a Zaurus ethernet card.  If the Z is in its USB cradle, you
can surf the web, etc. using ethernet over USB.

So I'm cheap.  Sue me ;-).  When you buy one of these awesome little
machines, the extras really start to stack up ;-).

John

Keith Hopkins said:
> John Wells wrote:
>> Let me preface this by saying that I have *no* knowledge of the
>> internal workings of USB at this time (wiring, etc.), which may be
>> evident from my question.
>>
>> I'm wondering if it would be possible to splice a usb cable with a
>> cat-5 cable?  Why, you ask?  Because I have cat-5 running through my
>> wall, and would like to connect to my machine upstairs over this cable
>> using USB.
>>
>> Probably impossible, but interesting nontheless.
>>

> I have no idea, but I'd look into distance constraints.
>
> Unless the answer should simpley turn out to be "why not", then I must
> endevor to ask "why?", when you can run perfectly good 100M lan over
> cat-5.
>
> --
> Lost in Tokyo,
>    Keith