[ale] httpd dies

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 9 20:55:59 EDT 2002

Thanks for the suggestion. There are no entries in /var/log/messages relating
to httpd. Running with /bin/sh -xv just cats the script for apachectl and it
exits with a 0. It's always more interesting when an program exits with no
message whatsoever. Or if it is leaving any traces, I haven't found the right
place to look. I'm still stumped.

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 07:36 pm, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
> > I just installed Apache 1.3.26 on a plain vanilla RedHat 7.2 system. When
> > I run:
> >
> > /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
> >
> > It says that httpd started. But the process is gone immediately. There
> > are no entries in the Apache error logs, no core file, no nothing. It's
> > as if the process never existed. Any ideas on where to look?
>
> double check /var/log/messages
>
> you might see your problem if you run it like:
> /bin/sh -xv /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

---