[ale] A nation of the immigrants, by the immigrants, for the immigrants

Arafat Mohamed amohamed at mail.totalemed.com
Mon Jul 8 19:32:04 EDT 2002

I've been following this discussion with interest considering that I'm
an immigrant (thankfully not on an H1b though).

Just a few questions I had and was wondering what sort of answers I'd
get. Not trying to be a troll here, just curious.

How exactly do companies follow the law (as was posted earlier) in
determining whether or not there are no qualified americans to fill the
position? Is the law actually followed or is it just one of those things
no one pays attention to?

If the law as it stands is not being followed, will more legislation
short of abolishing the H1-b program solve anything (I'm thinking gun
control here)?

The last question I ask is for the benefit of some who wouldn't want the
program completely abolished.

Is the abolition supposed to be permanent or temporary? If permanent,
what happens when the next labor shortage occurs?

What happens to those that have to take their families back to their
countries (which I'm  guessing are third world countries and therefore
not the most desirable place to live)? Does America and her corporations
owe anything to them?

Thanks,
Arafat Mohamed

---