[ale] CD-R recycling

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 8 17:19:49 EDT 2002

First you mount each CD and duplicate it onto a hard drive. Then you
analyze the data looking for bootleg software that you can get a bounty
for turning in the person who brought in the CD. Then you look for
directly usable data, ID's, passcodes, banking data, etc. This can be
sold to the highest bidder on the web in the chat rooms that specialize
in identity theft for fun and profit. Then the CD is burned in a barrel
in a poor neighborhood. Usually upwind of a daycare center.

Seriously, CD's are a data security problem and a disposal problem. The
plastic is toxic when burned at low temps (i.e., non-industrial
incinerator) and the data is a potentially serious threat. At the very
least, microwave the CD's for 10-15 seconds to pretty much destroy the
data layer before sending it to the data duper, er, I mean, CD recycler.