[ale] no root shell

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Mon Jul 8 16:25:47 EDT 2002

good news is:	that gives me 'unknown id' error under stock Solaris
2.7/sparc.
-s switch is available in GNU 'su', only if the shell is allowed in
/etc/shells.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Joseph A Knapka wrote:

#"James P. Kinney III" wrote:
#>
#> su -s /bin/sh  should force the use of /bin/sh
#
#Perhaps, but it apparently does so by starting the default shell
#and then exec'ing the -s argument. (Actually if it were possible
#to get around using the shell specified in /etc/passwd, I think
#that would be a serious security hole - consider
#"su -s /bin/sh ftp" and similar).
#
#-- Joe
#