[ale] no root shell

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 8 15:33:59 EDT 2002

Thomas,

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 15:14, Mazukna, Thomas wrote:
> Unfortunately this is a SunOS box in another state (read hundred of miles
> away) :(

	Oh, well.  Nevermind!  It's been awhile since I've even touched a Sun
box, sorry.

> Can this be done remotely ?

	In a previous life, after having been locked out of root twice by
inexperienced sysadmins, I made a little hidden directory under my
login, that only I could get to.  It contained a setuid root bash
executable.  The NEXT time it happened, we recovered easily.  Sometimes,
you have to circumvent {overly clever; unwary} sysadmins ;-)  sudo may
also have possibilities.

	Sorry this advice comes a little late.

Danny

---