[ale] Low cost motherboards

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sat Jul 6 11:18:52 EDT 2002

All this stuff is so cheap now it seems a waste to spend too much time looking
for the best price.  What about the best quality motherboard/CPU combo?  What
would be the best quality Athlon/motherboard/soundcard/videocard/case/powersupply
to purchase?  I like quiet systems that run forever.  How's 'bout them apples?
 You can always plot prices to see the breakpoint but I never know what is
the best quality combination of equipment that matches the breakpoint.  Right
now, 1.3 GHz seems like around the break point for CPU speed, 60Gb for hard
drive size, and 256Mb RAM chips.  That is a *very* rough guess on my part,
but need to make the point.  Has anyone looked at www.endpcnoise.com and
evaluated their equipment?  The low noise and high quality recommendations
sound nice to me.
Dow

Byron A Jeff wrote:
 cite="mid200207061220.g66CKVr05478 at cleon.cc.gatech.edu">

    Have not tried either of them as I am in Marietta.  Ginstar sounds
interesting.  Where are they

Norcross and Marietta.

    and how do they compare to www.pricewatch.com ?

No one compares to the artificially deflated prices at pricewatch.com. The
vendors that advertise there know that you're looking for the absolute best
price and that the low price comes up first in the list. So they gimmick by
limiting the number of parts you can buy and jacking up the shipping/handling
charges. Also I factor in convenience (I can get it today), and what I call
the bitch factor, which is since they are local it's real easy to go and
complain face to face when my expectations aren't met.

Given those factors, the prices are comparable. You can check them out yourself
because Ginstar has their prices online: www.ginstar.com

    Also does anyone know when the next tax free computer sale is?  I am looking
to acquire another laptop.  My 133 is getting tired and slow.  Need a drive
large enough to install Linux as well as M$ winders.

August 2-3.

BAJ

---