[ale] What is the /dev file for a usb drive

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jul 5 13:57:46 EDT 2002

It also depends on whether you have the usb-devfs stuff compiled in. If
so, it will show in /proc/bus/usb. But it will still show up in
/dev/sdx. Unless you are using full blown devfs. Then it will be in (I
think, it's been a while since I was testing this) /dev/usb/something.

This is clearly an area where Linux could use some guidance/direction
/revamping. Devfs will eventually solve the problem. But it has some
"issues" still.