[ale] Hey, deb-heads!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 2 09:57:55 EDT 2002

I think there is a misreading of the ls command. It is ls -1 (one) not
l(ell). That will format the output to be a single column of file names.

Processing the indiviual fields in the j loop is what is needed. It will
make a symlink from each real file to a common location for each name
found in each iteration of the outer loop.

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 09:06, Geoffrey wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Hmm. I've double indices before in bash. What's not running, the second
> > for loop or the `ls -1`?
>
> I think the issue is `ls -l` is going to give you more then just the
> file names, which is what I think you want in this case.
>
> Also, the for loop will process each 'field' in the 'ls -l' separately.
>

> > On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 23:39, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> >
> >>Jim -
> >>
> >>Looks like that for j in `ls -1` line isn't gonna fly - I assume you
> >>want the shell to evaluate that command but it's not...
> >>
> >>- Jeff

> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part