[ale] Linksys 'routers', SNMP issues (fwd)

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Jan 8 10:07:35 EST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, John Mills wrote:

> Chris -
>
> How did you query the unit? What is you master agent and what tools did
> you use? If I set my main platform as the snmptrap host that doesn't
> sound like a bad idea, but I've had only a brush with SNMP and that used
> prebuilt MsWin tools.

UC Davis has a software package (ucd-snmp) that supplies all the utilities
you need to work with SNMP from Unix.  You get daemons to run and collect
traps, daemons to run to respond to SNMP queries, and a whole slew of
utilities for making your own queries.  Your distribution probably bundles
it; both Red Hat and Debian do.

later,
chris

---