[ale] Simple Perl Question

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Mon Feb 25 10:59:12 EST 2002

I haven't written anything in Perl for about a year, and am hitting a
brick wall on a simple one.  Hopefully, someone in the group has a quick
answer.

I am reading lines of data from a file and doing an extract to go into a
SQL database.  Fields are delimited by "|".  There are 12 fields per
line.  I would like to read each line into an array, and then export
four of the fields.  So, and extract could be:

$ifile = "./52.txt";
open(INFO, $ifile);
@lines = <INFO>;
close <INFO>;
for ($x=0; $x <= $#lines; $x++) {
   #don't want to use the first line;
   if ($x == 0) (
   } else {
   @line = $lines[$x];
    print $line[0] $line[4] $line[6] $line[9] \n;
 }
};

I am stumbling on the delimiter part.  Bottom line is that I have
forgotten how to designate a delimiter for input into an array, and a
host of other stuff.

Any hints?

Regards - Bob Kruger

---