[ale] Linksys DSL router (BEFSR11) How to allow access in

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sun Feb 24 20:48:34 EST 2002

Hi -

My note assumed you use the web interface from behind the router. I don't
understand what you refer to with Earthlink setting router parameters, but
my Linksys has a 'factory defaults' button you can hold when powering the
unit, and that wipes your configuration setup back to stock. Did you mean
the router/modem between the LAN and the DSL line? Telocity provided that
and I don't expect to configure it. My Linksys is behind that.

Also - Mr. Johnson: you must have a well-defined 'outside' IP in order to
attempt your login, but I assume you do have either a static IP (which
you've assigned to your router), or some dynamic arrangement that
guarantees a resolvable IP when you try to login.

On 24 Feb 2002, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Dig through the linksys site and get the docs on the cli interface. Also
> the detailed user guide should have info on what is possible with this
> device. Some "router" products  are really quite dumb and will by
> default allow access to anything. Earthlink gets the routers first and
> runs a config program to set them for the region they are being shipped
> to. Be sure to document the original setup so you can fix it after you
> break it ;)

 - John Mills

---