[ale] OT: Question about Telnet

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Sun Feb 24 07:44:51 EST 2002

I'm writing an app that functions as a telnet proxy.  Eventually I want to
make it semi-transparent, but that got to be a mess so I decided for now to
just put a dumb NVT on both sides and use raw bytes for the filtering that
goes on in the middle.

RFC 854 says:

b. If a party receives what appears to be a request to enter some
      mode it is already in, the request should not be acknowledged.
      This non-response is essential to prevent endless loops in the
      negotiation.  It is required that a response be sent to requests
      for a change of mode -- even if the mode is not changed.

If I understand this correctly, my dumb NVT's responses should be as
follows:

DO: Reply with WONT
WILL: Reply with DONT <--???
WONT, DONT: Ignore

If anyone can clarify this I'd be much obliged.

Krum

---