[ale] Flash/Shockwave and other plug-ins?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 22 10:14:09 EST 2002

David Corbin wrote:
> What do yo folks do when a site you want to access requires a plug-in.
> I'm not talking about just for some silly "splash screen".  I mean for
> it to function.
>
> 1) Just installed whatever they want me to.

Never...

> 2) Install it if you know what it is (like Flash)

Yes.  I've got flash and java both on my Mozilla browser.

> 3) Never installl it, and ignore the site
> 4) Complain to the site people (are they anything like  pod people?)

I do when it's a windows only plugin.  Just complained to Suntrust bank
because of the poor security around their internet banking.  So poor,
I'll be changing banks.

I also recently complained to a local radio station
(http://www.fox97.com) because they have an option to listen to the
station on the internet, and it prompts you to install a windows only
streaming plugin.

> I'm less concerned about the Linux vs.Windows issues that show up
> (thought that is a concern) than just the basic principles of security.

My 10 year old daughter knows to ask me before installing any plugins on
her windows box.  My wife does so, just because she doesn't want to
hassle with it. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---