[ale] Problem with Nautilus

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Thu Feb 21 14:16:47 EST 2002

I'm having a very strange problem with Nautilus.  I initially thought it was
a problem with Mandrake 8.2 beta 2, but when I installed 8.1 the same thing
happened.  It's all the more strange because Nautilus works perfectly on my
laptop, installed from the same CDs.  Previously I have always used KDE on
my desktop.  I have done three complete installations on this machine
(formatting all partions each time) and exactly the same thing happens every
time:

The first time I start Nautilus, the window partially displays and then
stops updating.  I right-click its entry in the task bar and kill it.  The
icons on the desktop disappear.  From then on, when I try to start Nautilus
I get a few new processes but no window at all.  If I log on as a different
user, I don't even get that first broken Nautilus window.  There are no
desktop icons and Nautilus doesn't work right from the start.

I don't know if this is a Mandrake problem or a GNOME problem.  I don't have
any other distros handy.

Any ideas?

Krum

---