[ale] Linux distribution

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 21 09:11:31 EST 2002

I've played with a couple of difference dists.  I think you can sumarize
the various distributions a couple of different ways. One way would be
similarities.  Understand, my experiences are limited as follows:

# of installs:

Red Hat: (I've lost count, probably 15 or more)
Mandrake (10, maybe more)
SuSE (2)
Debian (1)
TurboLinux (2)
Slackware (5)

 From the perspective of similarities, I'd list them as:

Red Hat (the one to be compared to)
Mandrake (probably the most similar to RH)
TurboLinux (is it still around?  also similar to RH)
SuSE (different install process, but uses rpm packaging, rpm package
naming is different as well)
Debian (not too similar.  different install and package procedures)
Slackware (probably the most different of the major dists)

 From the perspective of ease of install (my personal experiences):

Red Hat, Mandrake, TurboLinux, Suse.  (all about the same from my
perspective)

Slackware (not difficult, just not as easy as the others, I actually
found slack easier then Debian, but I figure that's because I've got
more experience with Slack)

Debian (totally different install process and the initial install
screens were terribly cluttered, to me, I guess you could get used to it)

Accuracy of the install process:

Slack and Debian appeared to more accurately install the 'things' I
requested.  Mandrake and Red Hat always seemed to install stuff I didn't
want.  For example, both install X even when I did not select it and I
was doing a text based install.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---