[ale] Linux distribution

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Wed Feb 20 19:27:52 EST 2002

Depends on what you want.  Very quick & incomplete breakdown of the top
5 distro's might be as follows:
If you want to admin a European box someday, learn SuSE.
If you want a sweet distro with nice update features, learn Debian.
If you want to learn a user(ish) desktop distro, learn Mandrake.
If you want to admin American servers, stay with RedHat.
If you want to learn the *BSD systems (Open, Net, Free, ..) one day, or
just want to learn Linux really well and like CLI, definitely Slackware.

----
rhia
Happy Slack(er) for 3+ years ;)
knowledge is power - arm yourself

"Tommie M. Jones" wrote:

> Mandrake is good for a distribution that is more Red Hatish than RedHat.
>
> ---------------------------
> Get inside Atlanta's Tech Scene - http://www.atlantageek.com
> 'Business Intelligence' is not an Oxymoron - http://www.intelliforge.com
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Mark E. Schill wrote:
>
> > This may cause a lot of discussion so let me apologize first. I want to
> > check out a linux distribution other than Red Hat. Which one would you
> > recommend??
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > --
> > Mark E. Schill MCP CCA