[ale] hackers and their methods

Greg runman at telocity.com
Tue Feb 19 19:54:03 EST 2002

	Hi Stephen:

	You can get to a shell out of vi quite easily.  An exclamation mark (!)
tells ex to create a shell and to regard what follows as a UNIX command [1].
It needs to go.  You can put gedit/joe/pico or something on a floppy to use
as a text editor or just put everything you want to use but not install on a
CD and mount it when you have to. Of course, a hacker will put a "root kit"
on your box if he/she can and it will have the tools they need.  I saw in a
New Riders book on intrusion detection the complete typings of a hacker
going to work on Christmas Eve on a major system and it was quite
impressive, except the hacker couldn't remember where he put stuff and so he
had to re-download repeatedly.  They also couldn't type and had to re-type
stuff many times.  Was kinda funny the way the hacker kept making the same
mistakes over and over.

	Greg

[1] Learning the vi Editor - O'Reilly Lemur book