[ale] Stuck in 2.4.4 kernel compilation...

Amarendra Godbole (Intl Vendor) v-amarg at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 18 22:58:33 EST 2002

Hi folks,

I have RHL 7.2 with 2.4.7 kernel. I have to put in 2.4.4 kernel. So I
got the source for 2.4.4 downloaded, and followed the regular steps to
compile it. Now, I used the old configuration file (make oldconfig).

The compilation went thru fine, I did boot into it, but... eth0 did not
come up. Some googling told me that, the following options were not set
in the .config file CONFIG_NETLINK, CONFIG_NETFILTER. I did a manual
edit and set them right (=y).

But now the compilation does not go thru, I get an error (NF_MAX_HOOKS
not declared) in netfilter.c and it bails out.  Also, the README
mentions that to compile this kernel, one should have gcc-2.91.66, while
version I have is 2.96.

Can this difference in gcc may cause the problem ? Or did I go wrong in
manually editing the .config file ? How do I get this kernel to compile
with eth0 up ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
--amar

--
Amarendra A. Godbole / Microsoft ``Services For UNIX'' / These opinions
are _MINE_.

---