[ale] What are drive coolers, a source and cost ?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sun Feb 17 11:17:46 EST 2002

Courtney -

Have a look at
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/product.php?cat=7&prod=Vantec HD.  It's a
flat bay-sized aluminum heatsink onto which you attache your drive.  It
has two small fans in the front that blow air around and through the
heatsink, and you can see there that it comes with a front panel plate
that has a nice filtered opening (you can slide the filter out real
easily fpr cleaning).  BTW, the font panel plate does not attach to the
PC's bezel but screws into the bay slot, so the exact manner in which
the bezel accepts slot covers is not an issue.

As for how well it works in practice, I can't tell you much other than a
10,000 RPM drive feels just barely warm.

You can do things to specifically improve drive cooling passively, such
as put heatsink grease on the sides and make sure you screw the drive
down in at least four places.  That works even better with aluminum
cases.  For this machine, though, I wanted to make the HDs run as long
as possible, so I went active.

- Jeff

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Thank you.
>

> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---