[ale] hardware help

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 18:08:15 EST 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> - SIS735, 266FSB, 2 SDR & 2 DDR, ATA100, AC97, onboard LAN, 4XAGP,
> 5PCI, ATX,
>
> what is sis735, 266fsb, and ac97 ??? thanks

The following is offerred to you without charge,
and may be worth what you pay for it:

SIS735 is the chipset, the collection of ICs that
allow the CPU to talk to onboard peripherals, the
PCI bus, etc. Others you might see on different
motherboards are VIA and Intel. Some chipsets
are known to be buggy, but Linux works around
most of the known problems. I think SIS chipsets
have a fairly good reputation.

266FSB means the front-side bus -- the bus that
the CPU uses to talk to the chipset and RAM -- is
clocked at 266Mhz. This means, I believe, that you'll
need PC133 SDRAM if you want to put DIMMs in the box
- cheapo PC100 might not work.

AC97 is some kind of on-board sound system,
I think.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the

---