[ale] OT: Component Building

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Feb 15 19:45:40 EST 2002

	Thanks, Joe.  I stand corrected. I had heard of some Open Source company
trying to do .NET for Linux, but nothing like this. The product "actually
recompiles Windows source code with the Unix compilers to create native UNIX
applications." and "The second component, the Visual MainWin platform, is a
true Windows platform for UNIX. More than seven million lines of original
Windows source code in Visual MainWin ensure smooth, effective application
porting. In fact, with Visual MainWin, applications use the same APIs on
UNIX as they do on Windows. As a result, <oh boy !>applications will run on
UNIX exactly as they do on Windows." Quotes from the website.

	Any one have any experience of this before I <shudder> download/get a CD
copy and risk hosing both my MS 2k and a Linux box ? Considering my Visual
Studio has hosed itself recently I don't particularly care to mess with it
too much.

	Can any one see the benefits here ? or am I missing something ? of course,
Visual Studio is IMHO the best IDE invented developer wise (no comments on
WHAT is developed on it - VB,ASP,C++,J++ - I just like the layout, easy to
do things in 2-3 tiers at the same timeness of it). I don't know what is
gained by running COM on top of a *nix, especially if the crap in MS is now
ported over to a *nix.  My last company insisted on the porting of a Unix
app to NT and it was an unholy disaster... Yes, I know that software
developers could "theoretically" have only to keep one single codebase and
just port at the press of a button, and this would "save" a lot of bucks,
but it seems to me that they would lose it on the multitude of problems
generated by supporting it..<bulb goes on> oh, 	NOW I see...support
fees..hehehe..<butthead & beavis laugh>..support fees...

Greg Canter

---