[ale] OT: Component Building

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 11:45:25 EST 2002

Greg wrote:

>         Well, first of all I don't think I understand the question. COM or COM+
> (starting with MS 2000) is run only on Microsoft OS's. IT IS PROPRIETARY.

True, but M$ has licensed selected vendors to develop DCOM
for Unix, and is "cooperating" with those efforts. I know
of no successful application deployments built atop
DCOM on Unix, but it's supposedly possible. I believe
Mainsoft <URL: http://www.mainsoft.com> was a player
in that field. Also, it seems Microsoft has made the
source code for the non-Windows platforms available,
though not as free software.

The DCOM protocol is reasonably well-documented. An
open-source DCOM implementation might not exactly rock
hard, but it might achieve the rockage of, say, a
Neil Diamond or a Barry Manilow. Though probably not
the market penetration.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the

---