[ale] petition

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Fri Feb 15 13:42:31 EST 2002

On Friday 15 February 2002 09:23 am, Benjamin Dixon wrote:

> Which is unfortunate. But MS seems to realize that their strategy is not
> going to work too much longer. They still have a tight grip on the desktop
> market but it seems the growth potential of that market is capped. How
> much stuff can you possibly add to an OS before you can't add enough major
> features that its marketable as different from your previous release?

Exactly.
Both Microsoft and hardware manufacturers realize that continued exponential
growth just isn't going to happen. They have been relying on the old Detroit
approach (ever larger tail fins, more horsepower, lots of chrome) for a while
now, but people are beginning to catch on to that scam.

If that won't continue to increase sales, then the only thing left is
forced obsolescence. They're working on that too. I predict that Microsoft
will soon attempt to make their software a subscription-only product, with a
monthly payment plan (assuring a steady income stream) and automatic
disconnection if you don't pay on time.

Will this fly? I don't think so, but it will be fun to watch!

Regards,
Irv

---