[ale] unknown programs [seemingly] auto running under RedHat6.1.......

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Feb 15 09:27:56 EST 2002

Courtney -

Dunno about mdrecoveryd but slocate is what (IIRC) Red Hat and Mandrake
fire off nightly via cron to index the filesystem contents to facilitate
your subsequent use of locate.  Try a command like "locate crontab" and
note that it doesn't whirl your drives finding it - it just looks it up
in the database that slocate built.

mdrecoveryd may be another housekeeping chore.  Look through
/etc/crontab and the files it refers to and I think you'll find a
"locate -u" in there somewhere.

- Jeff

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Last night I noticed "slocate" and "mdrecoveryd" running. I didn't run
> them. What are they and how can I best determine who/what is causing
> this ?
>
> Appreciatively,
> Courtney
>

> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---