[ale] intro to python for the experienced programmer

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at innoverse.com
Thu Feb 14 11:25:47 EST 2002

John,

	Welcome to the club! I really love computer languages for their own sake but am more objective
about them when it comes to getting real work done with them. That said, now everything I do is pretty much
C++ and python whereas python has replaced java, perl, bash shell, and any other interpreted or platform
independent situation that I find C++ to be inconvenient for. Its great for scripting and serious development.

	The online resources that come with python are fine for getting you aware of the language and its
best use. My main hurdle is getting familiar with the standard library makeup cause its quite big and flexible
and I found the online docs only useful as a reference after I figured out what I needed. The python language
itself is quite small and extremely easy to pickup. I taught myself python by developing an online simulator of a
middle-ware transaction handler in a matter of 48 hrs and, months afterwards, never felt that the code needed
redoing so I had truly learned its correct usage.

	The book I stumbled upon (now in its Second Edition) that made all the difference to me is David
M. Beazley's "Python Essential Reference". Its extremely concise and very detailed and exactly what you're
looking for. Its under 9" tall by 6" wide by 3/4" think and easily carried by hand or in my laptop case (where it
lives). Has pretty good code usage examples and a thorough intro which will remind you of python
idiosyncrasies until you've mastered them. Mainly its a well documented reference to the standard library that's
very quick to use. Be certain to get the 2nd edition, however, as lots has changed (for the better). It also has
a very strong index (the most important part of any technical book). You will love this language.

	Good luck & best regards,

		Ben Scherrey

2/14/2002 7:01:58 AM, John Wells <jbwellsiv at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've been playing with the notion of learning python
>for some time now, and my curiosity is slowly getting
>the better of me.
>
>However, I really don't want to go out and buy another
>1000+ page, 50lb piece of forest to lug around.  Does
>anyone know of a rapid (but thorough) introduction to
>the language?  I would prefer something online, but if
>I have to antie up and buy a book I'm willing.  I have
>extensive perl, c, java, etc. experience, so I don't
>need another "intro to programming with language x"
>book.
>
>Thanks,
>John

---