[ale] a web page server hack

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Thu Feb 14 02:14:03 EST 2002

You don't need much for a firewall, or even a low-traffic web server.  This
is what I use:

cable---webserver/firewall---switch--------------
                                      |         |
                                    laptop   desktop

The webserver/firewall is a PII-266 with 64MB, running Linux 2.4, an
iptables firewall, and Apache.

There is a weakness in this configuration.  As others will tell you, it's
generally not a good idea to run services on a firewall because if they get
hacked then the whole network is vulnerable.  Well, I decided that for my
personal use, that's a risk I'm willing to take.  Each machine on my network
is individually firewalled, and I don't want another PC running all the
time.

Krum