[ale] slightly OT: network structure

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 13 19:26:19 EST 2002

If I were in your position I would insist that the box either be under
my control or not in my cabinet.The last thing you want is some bozo
MSCE to grab the wrong keyboard and use the 3-finger salute to log into
the w2k box! It will happen.

If you must put it in, have separate net connection for the w2k box that
has no connection at all (different provider is preferable) to your
other cabinet boxen. Add the w2k IP address to all your routers and
firewalls to block all access from the w2k box on every port for every
service. Nimba and code-red eat up enough bandwidth with out sharing a
router.