[ale] https

Denny Chambers dchambers at snapserver.com
Wed Feb 13 10:07:10 EST 2002

Here is a link to the modssl userguide, which talks about creating your
own self sign certificates. This will work on your ssl server, although
this method is not as secure as having a real certificate from a CA. On
the other hand this is a lot cheaper.

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC29

"D. Alan Stewart" wrote:

> I need to get a handle on https. I've already secured the private portion of my
> club's web site with the htaccess method. As I understand https will encrypt
> data being transferred between client and server, making it difficult to
> intercept passwords. However, I guess if the rest of the private pages are not
> https, someome could still intercept private information, so maybe all the
> private content should be accessed through https.
>
> How do you enable https? I understand that you need a 'certificate', and I've
> heard free ones can be had. How do you get one and how do you use it to
> enable https? Does it require the cooperation of my ISP? He is running
> apache.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> D. Alan Stewart
> Layton Graphics, Inc.
> 155 Woolco Dr.
> Marietta, GA 30062
> Voice: 770/973-4312
> Fax: 800/367-8192
> FTP: ftp.layton-graphics.com
> WWW: www.layton-graphics.com
>
> "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they
> are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do
> not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---