[ale] Linux Network Driver

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Tue Feb 12 12:11:04 EST 2002

Tony Ucedavelez wrote:

> I've inherited yet another computer clunker and am going to use it as a new
> NFS server.  I'm going through the painful driver search process for the
> network card, an HP PC LAN Adapter/ 16 TP, but with no luck.  I've searched
> for days including most of the driver websites, but have only been able to
> locate Win drivers download sites.
>
> I have RH7.2 on my new inheritance, but does anyone know if another distro
> has traditionally worked more with HP manufactured devices?
>

> Antonio

Tony -

I have worked with an older PCI-bus HP adapter before.  It was a Fast
Ethernet card, but as FE was just coming to the fore at the time, HP
kind of invoked their own spin (the cards were called AnyLan or some
such).  They did not necessarily work all that well with anyone's
Ethernet concentration equipment other than HP's; IIRC, it refused to go
FE or full duplex with a Bay Networks switch.

If that isn't applicable in this case, you may need to try to ID the
card by chipset.  It may be a common chipset.

- Jeff

---