[ale] FUD - Re: [ale] Solaris apps on linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Feb 12 09:56:16 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, John Mills wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Not so long ago, there were 'hobby-use-only' license terms to download and
> run Solaris on x86 hardware. I don't know how hardware-specific those
> downloads are.

Sun recently removed these from their site, at the same time that they
announced that Solaris 9 (due to ship later this quarter) would be
Sparc-only.

With all the recent announcements they've made regarding Linux, it looks
like they're moving towards a commercial strategy of Linux on IA32 and
Solaris on Sparc (which makes sense, since Sun owns Cobalt, far and away the
most successful Linux IA32 hardware vendor these days).

> Of course this doesn't answer the question asked, since you wouldn't be
> running Linux, but I wanted to mention the possibility. DISCLAIMER: I
> never set up x86 Solaris.

Its hardware support was absolutely abysmal, and its performance wasn't much
better....

later,
chris

---