[ale] Unix Vs Linux

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Sun Feb 10 17:14:33 EST 2002

I don't think its really an issue worth argument these days.
There's so many cases in which one can beat out the other in the slightest
way and provide no useful day-to-day application. What does your friend
mean? "Unix" beats linux in every aspect? I doubt it and I doubt the
reverse as well. For general use the speed increases that one posseses
over the other are probably marginal and not noticeable on today's
hardware. Which is another thing, has your friend run "unix" (oh so many
flavors) on the same hardware as he's run linux. All told, I think its a
moot point.

Ben

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> i have an old high school friend whos father is
> supposedly a computer genious, this i dont doubt and
> the kid is very smart with computers however he said
> something i would like to not believe but i want the
> facts rather than a "religion" to my os ;)
>
> fact/question is he said Unix out performs linux. i
> find this hard to believe considering the number of
> people that work on linux. whats the facts? opinions
> or thoughts?

> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

 The law of gravity says no fair jumping up without coming back down.