[ale] Throttling traffic on firewall

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Feb 10 09:03:09 EST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Dow Hurst wrote:

> A project is needing a firewall capable of throttling bandwidth to prevent
> overcharging by an ISP.  I'd like to use the iproute2 package, I think.
> The online documents I have found so far are a bit sparse and confusing to
> me.  Has anyone any experience with limiting a large pipe and controlling
> bandwidth based on domain name or IP?  Thanks, Dow

It's fairly straight-forward using ip and tc.  The only major requirement is
that you have a Linux router upstream of the boxes you wish to throttle.
Your best reference for getting it going is the Advanced Routing+Traffic
Control HOWTO <http://ds9a.nl/lartc/>.

As Greg pointed out, though, depending upon what you're trying to do, there
may be more appropriate solutions than tc.

later,
chris

---